The proper athletic footwear is not only important for optimal performance, but also helps reduce the potential for injuries. Here are some tips to proper athletic footwear:
- Shop for your shoes at a specialty store. If you are a soccer player, shopping at a soccer specialty store will give you access to sales associates that specialize in soccer and know more about the specific footwear and the best products to work for you.
- Try on athletic shoes at end of day when your feet are at their largest. This will allow you to get the best fit.
- Make sure you are wearing the socks you would wear for the sport, to make sure the fit and feel is accurate.
- Your toes should be able to move freely and not feel cramped in the shoe.
- The shoe should feel comfortable immediately, there is not a breaking in period.
- Always re-lace the shoes before trying them on to make sure they are tightened properly for your foot.
- The heel of the shoe should be snug and not move freely when walking or running in them. If you wear a blister on your heel, make sure the laces are tightly supporting your mid-foot.
- Choose the proper footwear based on the surface you will be playing on. For example, a shoe that is designed for a natural grass field is different from one designed for Astroturf.
- Avoid buying shoes for children that are intended for them to “grow” into.
- The higher costing shoe doesn’t necessarily mean it is the better shoe. Choose form and function over looks and brand. Some brand shoes are better for certain people than others.
Follow these tips to make sure you are getting the proper athletic footwear.Share on Facebook